Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Something in the water....

The most important line of this post:  This is not about me, nor is it a hint at anything.

There is something in the water here.  We've noticed this pandemic throughout the country - and now it is hitting our office...hard.  Two weeks ago it took out one girl - she'll be back in 6 months.  Another girl can't be more than a month or two away...and a third will be out in December. 

In Israel - by law - women get 3 months of paid maternity leave and an additional 3 months unpaid, after which they can return to their jobs. That is 6 moths out of the office.

Now, clearly the women I've already mentioned have had a bun in the oven for quite some time.  But in the past two weeks 2 more have told me privately that they too, are pregnant.  I am super excited for them! (Leheim!!) But, needless to say - the pregnant/on-maternity-leave girls are everywhere!

For the record, of the 100 people I know in Isreal (through work or as friends): 1 just had her baby, 3 are due by the end of the year, and another 2 are due in Spring.  If you boil that down to only those who are female, married and of the age to have a child - I would say 60% of the eligible population is preggers.  I'm kind of glad they don't have baby showers - I'd be broke!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment